We are hiring for a Medical Laboratory Scientist/Medical Technologist in Port Clinton, OH.
- The starting pay is $22-30 per hour depending on experience with a full benefits package and a $5000 sign on bonus.
- New graduates are welcome to apply!
- An associates degree and MLS or MT certification is required.
- The shift is 2pm-12:30am with a 8 days on, 6 days off rotation (Wednesday to Wednesday) This will include every other weekend.
Accurately and efficiently performs a variety of laboratory tests, specimen collections, and maintains all departmental functions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Follows the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing test analysis, reporting, and maintaining records of patient test results.
- Performs testing in all areas including hematology, chemistry, serology, blood bank, coagulation, microbiology, and urinalysis using standard techniques and equipment. Also performs review of previous day’s results, makes appropriate corrections and adds to appropriate quality assurance plan.
- Participates appropriately in proficiency testing. Maintains records that demonstrate that proficiency-testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Adheres to the laboratory’s quality control policies, and documents all quality control activities, instrument, and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed. Reviews peer quality control data.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance on assigned instruments and equipment according to established schedule and procedure. Prints, reviews, and signs off on maintenance logs.
- Performs validation for calculations, instrument interfaces, computer rules and auto verification.
- Performs venipunctures, heelsticks, fingersticks, and other specimen collection procedures on all appropriate patients, within and outside of the hospital, in a competent manner that minimizes the need for repeat collections or complaints.
- Collects and processes specimens for urine drug screens and breath alcohol following the federal guidelines.
- Processes outpatients, inpatients, emergency department patients, and patients outside the hospital facility by ordering the proper testing and having the proper distribution listed.
- Distributes reports by fax, mail, or in-house distribution to the proper physician and/or location.
- Maintains work area in clean, orderly, and well-labeled condition.
- Collects specimens from the dumbwaiter and nursing units.
- Researches requests from patients, physicians, nursing units, and other entities for information or reports.
- Advises Laboratory Management of recommendation for procedure modification, supply inventory needs, preventive maintenance needs, etc. Authors procedures.
- Provides clinical orientation and supervision for new or less skilled laboratory personnel.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions; ensures compliance with Joint Commission and other external and internal regulatory agencies.
- Maintains the integrity of confidential patient information in accordance with HIPAA and hospital policy, including accessing, using and disclosing patient information relevant to the individual employee’s job duties. Also maintains confidentiality of other customer and hospital business affairs.
- Adheres to the standards of Magruder Hospital’s corporate compliance policies and seeks guidance and training when necessary to resolve questions about the policies. Reports violations in accordance with corporate compliance and organizational standards.
- Attendance is an essential function of this position. Reports to work on time and as scheduled;
- Shows respect for co-workers by following established break times; Keeps personal conversations and telephone calls to a minimum.
- Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Other duties as requested or assigned.
Education, Skills and Experience Requirements:
- Associate’s Degree in related field
- No previous experience required but must have completed MLS or MT courses
- Numerical ability required to calculate test results using standard formulas, and to measure prescribed quantities of samples during tests.
- Color discrimination required to stain slides and to distinguish various shades and colors of specimens.
- A preference for scientific and technical activities required to perform a great variety of laboratory tests and to keep abreast of the latest innovations in methods of testing.
- A preference for activities carried out according to established processes and techniques in performing laboratory tests.
- Keen judgment to evaluate information against measurable criteria in the performance of tests.
- Assume responsibility and function by working independently without constant direct supervision.
- Computer literate
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent documentation skills
- Registry eligible Technologists are encouraged to take the Registry examination expediently. If the Registry is not achieved within one year, the Technologist’s status will be re-evaluated by the Laboratory Manager, Section Head Technologist(s), and the Pathologist/Medical Director.
- Previous phlebotomy and technical experience is preferred.
- Previous experience in a laboratory setting
Certifications and Licenses Requirements:
- Medical Laboratory Scientist, M.L.S, or Medical Technologist, M.T., Certification (ASCP); or Registry eligible; or Technologist with equivalent training and practical laboratory experience; or per CLIA’88 regulations for a Technologist for high complexity testing