Responsible for managing engineering projects from concept and data analysis through design, planning, installation, start-up and follow up assessment. This role will also provide some continuous improvement support to the factory. Works with plant management, office staff, and third-party vendors to develop and implement cost effective solutions that work.
- Lead and manage assigned engineering projects to meet scope, cost, schedule, and risk requirements:
- Define project and project team scope, roles, and responsibilities.
- Assess the situation including collecting information to analyze the savings potential of the project – this may include collecting downtime information, gathering product samples from the production line, or working with a cross functional team to develop a cost savings scenario.
- Develop equipment specifications, and technical requirements for projects, and include facility and equipment layouts in AutoCAD,
- Write and present project CAR’s to Sr Management including developing the project budget, savings analysis, and alternative solutions, etc.
- Develop contractor and equipment bid documents for approved scopes of work.
- Solicit, review, recommend, and obtain approval on bids for contractors, equipment and facilities required for the project.
- Manage ongoing project costs, scope and schedule for the approved project.
- Conduct project orientation for contractors and employees assigned to the project.
- Maintain construction project site safety and protect food quality standards, communicate, and coordinate with internal customers on project timelines and milestone events including facility shutdowns, physical barriers, or internal labor resources required for the project.
- Conduct regular owners’ meetings with project stakeholders so project progress and value obtained can be tracked accurately.
- Supervise construction, purchase, delivery and installation of equipment, and initial start-up.
- Coordinate equipment manufacturer startup, training, and operation procedures with quality and training departments for the creation of SOP’s, SSOP’s and maintenance procedures.
- Work with Maintenance to establish preventative maintenance and spare parts programs.
- Maintain detailed records for each project such as action plans, timelines, roles and responsibilities, cost tracking, and status against plan.
- Review project records periodically to assess problems encountered, progress made, solutions identified, and opportunities to share learning and expertise among operations throughout the organization.
- Actively and continuously work with plant management to evaluate and assess plant operations to identify opportunities for improving production efficiency and quality from an engineering perspective.
- Provide technical engineering and project management support to departmental peers, plant management, sales staff, and others as needed.
- Attend daily Production Meetings to understand the issues that operations faces on a day-to-day basis and provide Engineering support as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, and MS Project or other project management software
- Experience with Autodesk Inventor preferred
- Knowledge of mechanical systems, piping, electrical, PLC’s, hydraulics.
- Experience with Construction Management, coordination of Mechanical contractors.
- The candidate must possess the ability to develop projects without constant direction, work well with others on the team with the ability to influence others to successfully plan and execute projects assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, technical analysis and problem-solving skills required
- High emphasis on working safety and a working knowledge of food safety including U.S.D.A. and hygienic design for manufacturing.
- An understanding of manufacturing processes and methods including flow, layout, assembly, and production equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in order to communicate and work effectively with technical staff and departments to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with staff, departments, and with manufacturers, vendors and other service organizations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS Degree in Engineering with 5+ years of related Mechanical Engineering, Project Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or similar experience.
- Food or Beverage experience is preferred with experience managing multiple projects as an individual or in a team environment.