JOB SUMMARY: Directs liquid product or SSA purchasing activities for West Coast or East Coast operations, ensuring that all products meet company objectives for price, efficiency and quality.
- Directs purchasing activities, bidding and negotiating with external suppliers, to obtain the best price, maintain or reduce costs, and enhance service and quality.
- Establish and maintain strong vendor relationships, periodically meeting with suppliers to enhance communication, ensure that company objectives are well understood, and share performance expectations.
- Reduce costs on inbound raw materials and packaging, work with carriers for back haul opportunities and improved delivery times, and improve routing and shipping methods to decrease freight-related operations costs.
- Monitor the Supplier Quality Index (SQI) and other measures to evaluate supplier performance in terms of management excellence, low cost/best value, system player, and technical competency/quality.
- Track late deliveries, customer complaints, and other quality and supply issues to improve customer service and quality.
- Forecasts raw materials prices for quarterly pricing meeting with the customer to support strong customer relations and service.
- Calculates the total sugar content in all exports from both plants to process the required USDA Re-Export license documentation for final sugar export credits.
- Administers the minority/diversity purchasing program, submitting quarterly reports to the customer, to ensure diversity objectives are met.
- Adheres to food safety, quality and legal compliance. In the event of a crisis (i.e. product recall, fire, etc.) delegate responsibilities as outlined in the Crisis Communications and Management Guide.
- Performs other related and assigned duties as necessary.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education and experience equivalent to:
Bachelor’s degree in business administration from an accredited college or university
7 to 10 years of relevant experience in purchasing and inventory control in the food or restaurant industry.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Purchasing and inventory indicators (days on hand, inventory turns, cost of inventory, ABCs, etc.)
- Purchasing law (contracts, terms and conditions, warranties, disclaimers)
- Strategic supply management (just in time, strategic alliances, value analysis, partnerships)
- Contract management (blanket orders, releases, EDI, verbal agreements, contracts)
- Computer inventory management and database applications
- PC word processing/spreadsheet software
- Quality assurance concepts and techniques
Skill and ability to:
- Analyze and resolve complex problems
- Interpret purchasing problems or anomalies and identify appropriate solutions
- Communicate and coordinate effectively with vendors verbally and in writing
- Prepare a variety of comprehensive administrative and technical documents and reports
- Read and process written information with a high degree of accuracy
- Negotiate effectively with vendors
- Work effectively in a general business environment, with a focus on high levels of quality and customer service
- Travel via airplane and drive an automobile
- Act in accordance with company’s Values and Creed