Job location: 3735 Glen Lake Dr. #400, Charlotte, NC 28208 (relocation offered)
Work Setting: Hybrid setting (up to 2 days a week at home) Monday – Friday (half days on Friday / salaried but with straight OT)
Travel: 10 – 25% Plant site start up visits, commissioning, equipment purchasing. A candidate must be open to travel Internationally, unrestricted.
Compensation: $115,000 to $130,000 + 401k match up to 6%, profit sharing, OT eligible, tuition reimbursement, long-term incentive plans
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, + Company Paid: Life, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, EAP
Education / Certifications: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required. Preferably in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, or Computer Engineering. Other degrees could be accepted with commensurate work experience.
Required Experience: 7+ years’ experience
Instrumentation background (Instrument Technician / Electrical Technician)
OR automation background/controls background (HMI graphics, PLC, control system automation)
OR power systems (motors, switchgear, single line diagrams, arc flash studies, relay coordination)
The Senior Electrical/Instrumentation Engineer provides design of systems and electrical/instrument equipment associated with the design and construction of Direct Reduction plants and new technology initiatives.
- Senior E/I Engineers act as E&I discipline Lead Engineers, providing technical support for various projects and initiatives. Senior E/I Engineers will not have direct reports but will assign work to other engineers and designers.
- Perform designs and system analyses through calculations basic to Electrical Engineering with direction from a Senior Electrical Engineer, if necessary.
- Sketch conceptual designs, transferring ideas to the designers for development of E/I drawings.
- Coordinate with Process Engineering and other disciplines on the development of Piping and Instrument Drawings (P&IDs).
- Maintain the instrument list associated with the P&IDs.
- Develop logic drawings (E9s) from various data points, such as: P&IDs, vendor description of operation or functional description and coordinating with other project disciplines (Process, Mechanical, Operations, etc.)
- Develop device location drawings (E5 and E6s) working with the modeling group to ensure E&I items are located properly and with access to the device for maintenance.
- Responsible for the design and configuration of the Process Control System (DCS). Provides a detail specification for both hardware and software. Ensure the vendor has the proper information required prior to the Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) for the system to properly designed, fabricated, and configured for all required data points and communications at the job site.
- Coordinate the E/I design effort as the Lead E/I Engineer for a particular project by:
- Directing the efforts of assigned engineers and designers for the E/I system design requirements.
- Checking drawings, design calculations, sketches, etc. for the project.
- Developing specifications/requisitions for support of purchasing effort.
- Ensuring the engineering and deliverables as per the schedule and providing schedule status updates.
- Reviewing and approving purchasing quotations, vendor drawings, and QA documents.
- Ensure that relevant E/I information from vendor documentation and drawings is incorporated into the detail design.
- Coordinate projects with outside engineering consultants.
- Lead the detail engineering effort for bulks items such as cable tray and conduit design, electrical and instrument cable specification, lighting, grounding and lightning protection and coordinate with third party engineering firms.
- Provide technical support for the Aftermarket, Inspections, & Purchasing departments with review of vendor submittals and on-site inspections of electrical equipment, instrumentation, and electrical portions of mechanical/equipment packages.
- Provide direction and technical support for engineers and designers.
- Analyze designed and vendor supplied equipment for adherence to engineering specifications, required codes & standards, and project requirements.
- Check drawings and drafting for adherence to designs.
- Develop new technology designs and incorporation into larger systems.
- Review designs and assist other Senior Engineers and Management by making suggestions to improve an existing or proposed design relative to its function.
- Travel to job sites to analyze equipment, collect data and information, interact with plant & fabricator personnel, perform on-site inspections and gain experience valuable to design considerations (i.e., operating conditions, temperature considerations, etc.)
- Travel on business trips as required to carry out departmental, project, and corporate tasks and functions.
- Travel on field assignments as required to assist with construction, commissioning, and startup of the plant.
- Work as a "team player" with all company departments and employees in all assignments. Work toward building consensus on all assignments by finding solutions which meet the best interests of all parties involved.
- Proficient computer skills including use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Basic computer skills for Autodesk products (AutoCAD, etc.)
- Excellent technical writing and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to meet schedule and deliverable deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Excellent knowledge base of electrical engineering technical skills and knowledge of processes.
- History of experience with specification, startup, and troubleshooting of process control systems (DCS/PLC).
- International travel experience.
- Industrial plant experience.
- Design of E&I systems in hazardous area with adherence to National Electrical Code (NEC) / National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and local codes.
- Specification, startup, and troubleshooting of power systems, switchgear, Motor Control Center (MCC), Medium Voltage (MV) motors, transformers, etc.
- Design of bulks items such as cable tray, conduit, cable specification, lighting, and grounding.
- Design of E&I Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) and Safety Integrity Level (SIL) design and calculations.
- Willingness/Ability to obtain PE certification if required for domestic projects.
- 10% - 25% yearly average International and Domestic, additional travel based on project demands.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Ability to move around a project site, including climbing structures via ladders or stairs.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.