We are hiring for a Systems Administrator in Newport News, VA.
- Salary is $110k+ with a full benefits package.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related discipline with a minimum of 7 to 10 years of systems / virtualization / storage administration experience.
- Solid experience with virtualization technologies (VMware, Hyper-V) and data center management is required.
- Current CCNA Certification, Security+, Server+ or equivalent certification is a strong plus.
The primary focus of this position is to provide server management, virtualization, storage administration, office communications support and data center management, responding to requests such as help desk tickets, telephone, email and in-person service. This includes troubleshooting hardware and software related issues. Maintains Dell VXRail/VMware and Hyper-V clusters, including roll-out and configuration of guest operating systems while ensuring high availability.
- Conducts migrations of workloads from legacy Hyper-V environment to VMware/VXRail HA cluster.
- Conducts new physical server and virtual machine builds, coordinates operating system updates (Windows and Linux).
- Operates and maintains storage infrastructure (Microsoft DFS, NetApp, Dell).
- Performs routine data center management tasks and assists in the design of a new datacenter (Vertiv/ Samsung/Siemens/Geist).
- Installs, configures and supports battery backup technologies and environmental monitoring controls.
- Participates in a team that ensures accurate backups of devices and ensures recovery from component failures (Veeam).
- Works with product vendors to resolve hardware issues, and to improve the use and configuration of vendor products and technologies (such as replication and management software, RAID Configurations and multi-pathing).
- Collaborates with network administrator to ensure fault tolerant connectivity (HA) to all critical systems.
- Collaborates with network administrator in performing network related administration tasks, such as switchport management and maintaining respective device configurations at local and remote facilities.
- Implements and maintains new MS-SQL always-on cluster and assists in database administration functions (DBA).
- Maintains and provides technical support for local and remote building access control, security, camera systems and time keeping terminals.
- Manages company mobile devices such as smart phones and personal hot spots.
- Manages maintenance renewals and service contracts with hardware suppliers (Vertiv, Dell, NetApp, etc.).
- Diagnoses, troubleshoots, resolves hardware, software and system problems, and replaces defective components as necessary.
- Creates and keeps documentation updated related to new and existing IT infrastructure.
- Participates in cross-functional projects as scheduled.
- Maintains logs related to system performance, as well as maintenance and repair records.
- Maintains an inventory of parts for emergency repairs.
- Meets financial requirements by submitting information for budgets; monitoring expenses.
- Recommends changes to improve systems configurations. Determines hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Stays informed of current technology, trends and best practices related to networking and computer systems. Analyzes and recommends changes and upgrades to staff and IT management.
- Gathers data pertaining to customer needs, and use the information to identify, predict, interpret, and evaluate system and network requirements.
- Coordinates with vendors and with company personnel to facilitate equipment purchases.
- Handles support requests via help desk tickets, phone and email or in person.
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Practices 5S methodology to keep responsible areas organized and maintained at all times
- Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related discipline with a minimum of 7 to 10 years of systems / virtualization / storage administration experience. Solid experience with virtualization technologies (VMware, Hyper-V) and data center management is required. Current CCNA Certification, Security+, Server+ or equivalent certification is a strong plus.
- Expert knowledge of and ability to apply advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts using Windows Servers, Hyper-V, VMware, GPO's, Domain Controllers, Active Directory Services. Must be well versed in virtualized and hyper-converged environments.
- Strong knowledge of data center management and solid experience with related hardware (Dell, APC, Tripp-Lite, Vertiv, Samsung, Siemens, Geist).
- Ability to recognize and troubleshoot Windows and Linux operating system related issues.
- Strong knowledge of current Windows operating systems (client and server) as well as common Linux distributions (RHEL, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.).
- Ability to configure RAID arrays, partition disks, create logical volumes, create file systems and mount file systems in Windows and Linux environments.
- Experience in managing NetApp storage appliances as well as in NAS/Windows storage and performance capacity analysis and planning.
- Experience with auxiliary systems such as building access control/zoning, security, NVR and time keeping systems.
- Strong experience in creating and updating systems documentation using tools such as MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Visio, Atlassian Confluence and Draw.io
- Must be able to learn and utilize Solar Winds products (NPM, SAM, NCM, UDT, NTA (Netflow))
- Experience using help desk software; coordinate with other help desk personnel for successful and timely resolution of tickets.
- Experience using remote connection tools and help desk software.
- Strong ability in identifying and remediating security vulnerabilities in accordance with existing IT security policies.
- Excellent people skills. Is competent and comfortable with handling support requests via help desk tickets, phone and email or in person.
- Ability to multi-task and work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions; meet set goals; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities with keen attention to detail; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Security principles and best practices.
- Knowledge of IT security principles, vulnerabilities and protection methods.
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package that includes major medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K plan with company match, paid vacation and personal days and competitive salary.