Responsible for overseeing and ensuring wastewater and waste disposal compliance. Also responsible for environmental compliance, reporting requirements, obtaining regulatory approval, and evaluating and implementing strategies to ensure regulatory requirements are being met.
- Must establish solid understanding of the principles of wastewater treatment processes and their applications.
- Applies diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices and effectively applies to waste water treatment discipline.
- Supervises the work of engineers on the projects including providing technical guidance and reviewing work and results.
- Evaluate plant operations: assures proper adjustment of plant processes; coordinates sampling operations to assure proper balance of treatment steps and meeting effluent requirements; ensures the proper conduct of laboratory tests performed by operation staff.
- Supervises WWT maintenance activities to ensure the safe, reliable and efficient operation of equipment; verifies proper implementation of WWT preventive maintenance plan as well as the work order issuance for any corrective maintenance whenever required.
- Evaluate operations and activities of assigned responsibilities. Recommend improvements and modifications whenever required.
- Assists in all Process Engineering Matters related to WWT
- Conducts inventories to maintain supply of bulk chemicals.
- Coordinates waste stream classification, waste handling and disposal, and proper documentation generation and recordkeeping.
- Performs inspections, maintains inspection records and generates reports for wastewater and pollution control
- Equipment and hazardous waste.
- Administers permits for air quality, hazardous waste, industrial discharge, tanks, and storm water discharge.
- Completes reports pertaining to permits, community right-to-know EPA reporting of toxic chemicals, pollution
- Prevention and incident reporting.
- Maintains contingency plan and assists in coordinating emergency or hazardous material response.
- Conducts and/or administers environmental audits including storm water and SPCC.
- Conducts environmental engineering review of new processes, process changes, or changes to the facility. Makes
- Recommendations, secures approval, and implements changes.
- Ensures proper operation of plant water treatment equipment.
- Prepares reports for Corporate including annual Key Performance Indicators.
- Member of the Environmental Management Team and provides support for ISO 14001 compliance.
- Completes monthly SPCC inspections; participates in periodic reviews of the SPCC program and revisions as necessary
- Assists with quarterly storm water inspections; Completes mass balances for annual Toxic Release Inventory report (EPA) and annual Air Emission Inventory (DNR)
- Assists with Air Permit compliance issues as assigned
- Prepares and submits annual Hazardous Waste reports
3.0 JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor’s degree in related field (e.g. chemical or environmental engineering, or physical sciences)
2+ years of experience in wastewater treatment-engineering capacity.
Must have experience in negotiation with governmental agencies.